Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I'm Here and She's There


I’m here and she’s there and it’s been a few difficult days. On Sunday morning we left the Emergency Room and prepared to head up to Coos Bay for Rianne to receive another blood transfusion. Instead we decided that her parents would take her up and pull the 5th wheel behind them in case she needed to sleep on the way home. Her temperature and condition were worse than we thought and the oncologist decided to keep her overnight.
Overnight has now turned into a 4th day. Late Sunday evening, after numerous antibiotic infusions, she received a blood transfusion. On Monday the oncologist ordered a SECOND blood transfusion, as her blood counts, especially the white blood cells, were still lower than preferred. Yesterday she received more antibiotics and today she has been closely monitored.
Tomorrow she may be released to return home, but that was what the oncologist said yesterday. He entered her room today, drew blood, returned with the results and kept her where she was. She called this morning frustrated and tearful, apologizing again and again for having cancer. It absolutely crushes me that she feels this way and it remains a difficult task explaining to her that none of it is any fault of hers. The photo in this post was taken the last time she broke down apologizing and it too was another troublesome moment for her.
Her oncologist explained to her that the infection she has is thought to be part of the chemotherapy process. He said that sometimes it happens due to the chemicals killing off cells throughout the body. Her chemically infused body is very vulnerable during chemo treatment and being hospitalized is also part of the process.
Her spirits were NOT high this morning, but her condition improved when her parents visited her this afternoon. We’re sure fortunate to have her Mom and Dad here right now and are especially thankful that they can be with her in Coos Bay. We are also fortunate to have your prayers and friendship and are grateful to you all.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. I'm sure this is just tearing you up to be separated and have to try to have life go on like normal when nothing is normal. Thanks for taking the time to update when you probably don't have the time or energy to do it. Hang in there! Remember this whole process is a roller coaster and after the downs, there will be more highs. I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that you are separated right now. I have been wondering how you all have been doing. Rianne is a very strong willed person, she will pull through this all. Both of you. We love and you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magic - there are so many of us praying fervently right now for all of you. I wish there were SOMETHING I could do - I feel so helpless!! I love you both so much and will be here for you anytime and always! Big hugs to all - Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncle Magic;
    I pray hard for Rianne every single day. I know Gramma and Grampa are relieved to be able to be there for you both. I too wish there was something I could say or do to help. I pray- and when moments like this come up I feel like I am not praying right. Sometimes absence can feel like you are weaker than you really are- I can tell you it has made me a stronger person and I know this time will only strengthen your Faith and Love together. Stay Strong Uncle Magic. I am one of many praying for Aunt Rianne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments and especially for your love and support. It sure was a rough week for us both but especially for Rianne. She is feeling a touch better now that she is able to be in her own home and sleep in her own bed!

    ReplyDelete